6 feet tall ramp and print model Anna Lisa will be seeing action at the Most Environment-Friendly city of Vienna when she represents the Land of the Long White Cloud in the most-relevant pageant in the planet – Miss Earth.
New Zealand is a country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean consisting of 2 main islands, both marked by volcanoes and glaciation. Capital Wellington, on the North Island, is home to Te Papa Tongarewa, the expansive national museum. Wellington’s dramatic Mt. Victoria and the South Island’s Fiordland and Southern Lakes stood in for mythical Middle Earth in Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” films.
Ranking 14th among the 132 countries assessed on Environmental Initiatives, New Zealand is considered a strong performer in this aspect and this is one agenda that Miss Earth New Zealand 2015 would want to tell the other delegates when she arrives in Vienna this November.
New Zealand has been consistently sending delegates to the Miss Earth Pageant since its inception but none of them is able to land a spot in the elite list of semi-finalist. Will this year sends a new beginning for Miss Earth New Zealand?
Let’s meet the woman who will proudly carry the New Zealand flag in Miss Earth 2015 in Austria!
ON HER NATIONAL PAGEANT
A national competition was held to select the country’s representative to Miss Earth with 15 women took on the challenge of a chance to represent the country in international competition. Luckily, I was crowned Miss Earth New Zealand 2015 on July 25 from among a bevy of beauties.
As Miss Earth New Zealand, I am have conducted many activities to spread awareness about our environment:
– Community Tree Planting with Kaipatiki Project (Environmental Organisation).
– School Tours in local schools throughout Auckland, New Zealand.
– Written and on screen public interviews.
– 2 page spread in Woman’s Day magazine talking about Veganisim, World Vege month and the effects animal agriculture has on the environment.
– Attended protest and gave public speech against Deep Sea Oil drilling in New Zealand.
– Spreading awareness online and through social media surrounding important climate change issues, alternatives and solutions.
– Choosing not not own my own car and catch public transport to reduce my own personal carbon footprint.
– Animal agriculture is responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation. To avoid this I have maintained a Vegetarian diet since age 6 through my own choice and Vegan diet for over 2 years whilst promoting eating less meat, healthy alternatives and recipes.
– Passion for op shops! I love purchases most of my clothes from pre-loved op shops, I’m constantly finding treasures that are unique and not many have. Setting my unique style whilst reducing my personal waste and environmental footprint.
– Planting my own fruit and vegetables in my backyard garden, a great life skill that you can teach to many.
– Recycling household waste and finding nifty ways to reuse every day items that I love to share with friends, family and online.
AS ELEMENT OF THE EARTH
I believe out of the four elements that I represent Earth with the everyday choices I make in mind of my impact on the environment from not consuming meat and animal products, encouraging healthy Vegan meals to promote a healthier lifestyle choice and reduce animal agriculture with livestock being responsible for 65% of all human-related emissions of nitrous oxide which is a greenhouse gas with 296 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide, and which stays in the atmosphere for 150 years. Choosing to recycle everything I can from my household waste, reusing hold hold items, purchasing most of my clothing pre loved from op shops, growing my own fruit and vegetables in my own backyard. Choosing not to own my own car to reduce my carbon foot print and imprint on our environment and supporting the local public transport industry. I am constantly finding new ways to help reduce my environmental footprint and I love public speaking and educating others on these issues and teaching them what I know to be a better way of living in balance with our environment. Through educating our next generation and a large influence on social media sharing tips and values I believe I could make a big difference through small changes and action worldwide to protect and preserve our beautiful mother earth.
EXPECTATIONS ON MISS EARTH 2015
One of the parts I’m looking forward to the most about Miss Earth and our trip to Vienna, Austria is meeting all of the 90 plus ladies proudly representing their countries and taking their part in action against climate change. I’m very excited to meet every single country and hear their wonderful stories and environmental passion. I spent over 3 months living in Singapore which I travelled to that end of last year on contract for modelling it was such a unique experience and one that I will treasure for the rest of my life, because of this I’m looking forward to meeting Miss Earth Singapore and believe we will have a lot of dear memories in Singapore to share.
I AM A WOMAN OF THE EARTH BECAUSE
I believe in the importance of addressing climate change and global warming.
Our mother earth is far too precious to let down and will work hard to protect her beauty.